Wednesday, January 02, 2008

holiday recap...

I wasn't very diligent about posting on my blog through the holidays. We were busy playing, shopping, cleaning, keeping warm (at least some of us), and just being together. So, rather than having individual posts about all of our holiday week activities, I thought I'd do one super-huge post instead. :o)
We had an extra family celebration this year. Since Daxen was only going to be with Tony until early on the 24th, we had a family party on the night of the 23rd. It was fun watching all of the little cousins open the gifts from each other - and the adults too! In fact, I think we might start doing this exchange early every year...the kids had a great time playing with ONE gift, instead of being swallowed up with lots of fun gifts all at once.


Christmas Eve was definitely one to remember. The day was busy, but it was all about our little family. The kids opened their ONE gift - pajamas, of course - in the early evening. Then we made cookies for Santa (Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookie recipe -- the BEST chocolate chip cookies ever). I can't remember which holiday movie was playing on the TV in the next room...but something got us talking about eggnog. I told the kids how I remember my Grandma Nye making us eggnog - and how yummy it was - except the egg part (oooh, slimy eggs ...yuck). So, we made up a batch of eggnog for the kids - okay, it was really just milk with sugar and vanilla...but they loved it!We all gathered in the front room, with only the tree lights turned on and read the Christmas Story (the one in Luke...not the funny movie) together. Then we read "The Night Before Christmas" and "The gift of the Magi." Even with a couple of wild little boys, it was a special evening, and the perfect prelude to the next day.

Josh left a note for Santa with his milk and cookies. Can you read it? "Dear Santa, Help yourself to the cookies. Get some milk out of the fridge. I want your autograph please. From Josh. Sign here:"

Seth left a great drawing for Santa too!


My favorite photo of Christmas Eve EVERY year is the one I take right after Santa leaves...I love how peaceful and tranquil everything seems - the lights are magical, and my own anticipation of the kids' reaction in the morning raises even higher.

And then Christmas morning arrived - finally!

The kids got everything they had asked for. Seth must have really been excited - check out his expression in that first picture. And I haven't seen my serious little Meagan squeal and jump up and down in a really, really long time - it was perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas morning.

After the kids opened all of their SANTA gifts and gifts from us, we headed over to my mom and dad's house for breakfast and more gifts - such a fun tradition!


The rest of the day was spent relaxing at home...I even got a special Christmas gift in the form of a nap!! Brad felt sorry for me since I was up almost all night on Christmas Eve finishing our calendars and taking care of a few other things (*wink*)...so he took care of everyone so I could take a little nap. Then we went to visit my Grandma and Aunt - we had a really nice visit - I need to go over more often. And finally, we went to the Luke's house to see their fun gifts and visit a bit more.

Oh, and just in case you were curious...Santa wrote a quick note back to Josh, and even left his autograph!

What a great guy, that Santa Claus!

Brad took the big kids tubing at Soldier Hollow on New Year's Eve. I stayed home (and stayed warm) with the babies. The kids were exhausted (and so was I, lol), so we didn't do anything special to ring in the new year. Meagan did wake me up so I could watch the ball drop - she didn't want me to miss it - wasn't that sweet?

On New Year's Day, Brad and Josh got up early and went ice fishing & snowmobiling. It was 18 degrees below zero at our house. (remember my previous post about it being 8 degrees...and you thought that was cold - ha!!) Brad told me when they arrived at Strawberry it was 25 degrees BELOW zero. DANG!! Um, yeah, I was more than happy to stay at home and stay warm yesterday! Meagan and the little boys and I took down all of the Christmas decorations and cleaned up the house. We baked potatoes and rolls and a turkey breast so the house was warm and smelled yummy all day.

I'm excited for the new year and all that lies ahead. Here's to a great 2008!!!

3 comments:

  1. love that letter to santa! and a great idea to actually keep the milk in the fridge to keep it cold. lol! sounds like you had a great christmas with your family. and i'm jealous of the nap ... i can't remember the last time i got one of those! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had an awesome Christmas! Just perfect! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like we have crazy husbands in common. My husband and brother in law got up at 6 am on New Years Day to go ice fishing on Strawberry as well! They stayed out until 2:00 pm. That is some serious dedication. I don't think Jacob thawed out until late that night.

    ReplyDelete