Sunday, May 23, 2010

one eskimO - {a review AND a free song for you to download}...

It's been a while since I've reviewed any music on my blog - but a couple of weeks ago I received a new CD from One2One Network - just so I could listen to it and share my thoughts with you. :)

The CD I received is One EskimO.  I had never heard of this group.  However, once I started listening to the CD, I thought they sounded vaguely familiar.  They currently have the #1 adult alternative song called 'Kandi' which you may have already heard since it's the most played song on all adult rock radio 4 weeks and counting.

A couple of days after I received the CD, I had some meetings in Salt Lake that I needed to drive to.  Two days in a row.  Driving time from here to SLC is about 1 hour each way...I put in this CD and listened to it the entire time.  The entire time.  The first couple of times, I was concentrating on the music, the lyrics, etc.  But then I found my thoughts drifting.  The music is calming.  Very calming.  (Don't worry - it didn't make me drowsy.)  I felt relaxed and thoughtful.  I wasn't even stressed about driving in the city - which ALWAYS makes me stress...so this CD will mainly be living in my car, especially for times like that! 

I can also see this as a cd that I would pop in and listen to during the day - as I work and go about my normal daily stuff.  It's not distracting.  It's pleasant.  I really liked it.

One place I will not be listening to this CD is while I'm walking/running.  Not upbeat enough for that. :o)  Other than that one scenario - it's a keeper! :o)

I can't choose a favorite song - but I did hop over to their YouTube channel and found a couple of videos I thought were fun - and worth sharing.

I like this video version of the song Kandi:

And here's a link to another fun cartoon-y video: Given Up.

Here's a bit of information about the group:

  • One eskimO is a critically-acclaimed English band fronted by singer-songwriter Kristian Leontiou and includes musicians Pete Rinaldi (guitar), Jamie Sefton (bass, horns) and Adam Falkner (drums).  
  • Billboard Magazine calls One eskimO's self-titled debut album "...catchy, ambient pop." and Los Angeles Times Magazine hails the song "Kandi" a beautiful, aspirational track.”  The album is available in stores now. 
  • The album release comes in tandem with a full length animated film.  “Hometime”, one of the tracks that an animated short was first done with proved to be quite a sensation.  It received numerous honors at film festivals around the world, as well as a 2008 British Animation Award. 
  • Band is on tour May/June/July supporting Michael Franti and in addition to festivals and headlining shows.

And now for the FREEBIE:  You can download one of the songs from the CD  for free!  Go here!  Let me know what you think!  And please, if you know of any other groups with similar styles/sounds, I'd love to hear about them.  :o)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the link. Love the soothing sound.

    ReplyDelete