Monday, January 28, 2008

president hinckley...

Tonight we were at our usual Sunday evening visit at my mom and dad's house. My sister-in-law, my mom, Meagan, and I were upstairs in the kitchen visiting when my dad walked upstairs and told us President Hinckley had died. I have to be completely honest and admit that my first thought...and the first words I spoke were something to the effect of "Now he's with his wife again." And honestly, I didn't feel any sadness at all. Maybe it's simply because we've had a few deaths in our family the past few months...I don't know, but all I could think about was what a beautiful reunion was happening in Heaven at that very moment.

Then, a few hours later, we were home and the news was turned on as I was getting a snack for Seth and cleaning up what was left of the dinner mess. There were people gathering at Temple Square (mostly younger people...college age) and they were singing hymns. Obviously, it was not a planned gathering...nobody knew this morning what would be happening at about 7 o'clock this evening. The reporters were speaking with some of the people...and there was singing in the background. But that's when it hit me...and my eyes welled up with tears, my throat got tight, and my chest felt constricted (I blame it on the music...it has that affect on me). I knew it was an affirmation of my beliefs - all of them - but especially that President Hinckley truly was a prophet of God. I will miss President Hinckley. I am going to miss his cute little smile. I will miss hearing his words of counsel. I will miss seeing him walk along with his cane in his hand. Even Meagan commented that she will miss hearing his voice at conference - she says she really liked his voice.

So, here it is, much much later than when I first heard the news and I'm now feeling sadness... I guess my emotions are coming in topsy-turvey order...but as much as I am feeling sadness, I still can't deny the joy I feel, simply knowing the joy that he and his sweet wife are feeling, now that they are together once again. I am so very grateful to know that marriages and families can be eternal - I honestly don't know how anyone could get beyond the sadness of death if it weren't true.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed reading them. I too will miss him.

    ReplyDelete