Thursday, December 01, 2011

the sweetest gift…

Last year Seth surprised Brad and me with Christmas gifts he made all by himself.  You may see cans of soup (or who knows what….since the labels were removed).  You may see pre-cut Christmas trees with way too many pom-poms glued on.  But not me.  I see something completely different.
 
holiday_gift_layout
 
I see one of the sweetest gifts I’ve ever laid eyes on.  I see love and thought and careful planning.  I see effort and time.  I see that a barely seven-year-old boy wanted to surprise his mom and dad with a handmade gift for Christmas.
 
You may not see what I see – but if you’re a mom, you probably do. 
 
I love that he wanted to surprise us.  I love that he was creative.  I love that he did this all by himself.  I love that he was so proud of himself as he handed us our special gifts.
 
And guess what?  I love being able to see the evidence of his love and creativity every time I open my cupboard door – because they are still sitting on the shelf.  You see, I can’t bring myself to actually use these cans of food.  They are a reminder of how much love one little boy put into a special gift for us.
 
I shared this layout yesterday on the create: blog
 
holiday_gift_layout_closeup2
 
You can see it there and find a step-by-step tutorial for creating the little holly berry leaves too. :o)
 

2 comments:

  1. OMG, that is the best gift ever! Definitely beautiful and scrap worthy! My youngest daughter hand made me this very big North Pole scene, I love it... but storing it and finding somewhere to put it every year is a challenge. She made it when she was 12, here it is:
    http://want2scrap.blogspot.com/2009/12/more-danica-creations.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally the sweetest! Clearly he gets his thoughtful creativity from you. Love that you scrapped it too. Those are definitely memories you want to remember forever.

    ReplyDelete