Tuesday, November 18, 2008

turkey day warm up...

Brad has been wanting to buy a turkey fryer for about 5 years...and he finally bought one!  After a long wait for the proper oil (it was shipped and when it arrived the first time, the bottle had broken inside the bag/box and leaked everywhere...5 gallons of peanut oil...nice, eh?), he finally fried his first turkey!

He was so excited!  He actually told me that this was a "scrapbook moment" - which meant for me to go get my camera to record his first deep fried culinary creation for our posterity.  And so...here it is...deep fried glory:

111608_brad_turkey2_filtere 111608_brad_turkey3_filtere

I wasn't quite as excited as Brad about actually eating the turkey (deep frying something that is actually healthy otherwise just doesn't really sit so well with me...), but it was really good.  Brad, on the other hand, was a little less enthused about actually eating the bird - after watching it sit in boiling oil for 45 minutes.  Anyway, it was pretty good, and I'm sure we'll do it again sometime...but I think we both prefer an old fashioned oven-baked bird...

4 comments:

  1. love that he declared it "scrapworthy"! my brother has done the deep-fried turkey a few times for holidays. guess it never bothered me since i didn't see it being cooked. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're bringing back a bad thanksgiving memory... think super greasy turkey, and a small fire. ugh. I've boycotted thanksgiving at Jason's sister's house ever since. ;)

    Cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me so much of my husband. :) He's so excited about doing this for the first time this Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you go all out with the injecting of "stuff" under the skin before deep frying? I hear it's delicious that way :)

    I just love it when guys ask us to get out our cameras.....that means that whatever is happening is really important to them! Otherwise, they don't want any part of picture taking....

    ReplyDelete