Friday, August 01, 2008

perspective...

I go along, living my life, doing the best I can...going through the normal ups and downs of mommyhood...having good days and bad days...sometimes dwelling a little too much on the negative...and than BAM...something happens to make me open my eyes and look at the big picture...to make me realize where my priorities should be...to make me remember what a blessing it is to be a wife and a mom...and to make me realize I should never take a single day for granted.
Last Saturday evening there was a terrible accident involving the granddaughter of a couple in our ward. One minute she was fine...the next minute, she was not. She is now at Primary Children's Medical Center...and it sounds like she is fighting hard - she must have such a strong little spirit. You can read about the accident and little Kairi's progress by visiting their family blog.
Her parents are so strong - I can't believe how well they seem to be dealing with everything that was put on their plates almost a week ago. Seriously, I don't know how they are doing it. Never mind, I take that back...I do have a little bit of insight about that -- prayers, fasting, priesthood blessings...that's how they're coping. Still, they are amazing and such good examples.
Last Wednesday, for our Young Women's activity, we made get well cards to send to PCMC for Kairi. I mailed them off yesterday. About an hour later, we were in Park City and we just happened to run into Kairi's grandparents - they were buying a new nightgown and some shoes for her to wear in the hospital - and when I mentioned the fact that we had just sent off some cards, Robin smiled through her tears. She told us how much it means to all of them to know that people are thinking of them and supporting them. They are amazed by how many hits they've received on their blog and just knowing everyone is thinking of them is helping them so much.
My reasons for sharing this are 3-fold. (1) I think it's good for everyone to be reminded of how precious life is...how precious our families are...and how there is no guarantee as to how long we'll be together here on earth...I need to remember to treasure each and every day. (2) I think it would be wonderful for the Abbots to know how many people care about them and are supporting them...please visit their blog if you feel so inclined. (3) If you're a card-maker and want to brighten the hospital room of this sweet little girl, would you please consider sending her a card? The address is posted on their blog here.
Now, go hug your kids and tell them how much you love them...that's what I'm going to do.

3 comments:

  1. I just looked at that website... so sad! I hope they will be blessed with a miracle. Thanks for the perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, Thank you so much for posting this on your blog.

    Thank you for the cards and tell the girls thank you too.

    Love,
    Liz, Pace and Kairi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    Thanks so much for the reminder. I was having one of those weeks last week, the kind that you talked about in the beginning of your post. I am going to go sqeeze my kids and cover them in kisses now. I will send a card off this weekend.

    ReplyDelete