Monday, November 07, 2011

the true story of puss ‘n boots…

Earlier this month The True Story of Puss 'N Boots was released by Phase 4 Films.  We received a copy of the movie from Team Mom and Child’s Play Communications on behalf of Phase 4 Films so we could watch it and share our thoughts. {All views and opinions expressed are my own.}

This film is based on the famous Puss 'N Boots character by Charles Perrault. A Young Farmer’s son inherits a strange talking cat with magical boots. With his cunning wit, Puss helps him win the heart of the Princess while battling devious suitors that are after the throne.

This CGI animated film features the voice talent of William Shatner (though you probably won’t hear the voice you would expect).  The True Story of Puss’N Boots is supposed to focus on a family friendly theme of overcoming obstacles and accomplishing your dreams.  Of course, this is important to us, and I was looking forward to watching the movie with the kids. 

Unfortunately, I have to say I was disappointed, overall, with this movie.  It seemed dark and a little bit scary for the kids.  There was “adult humor” that I didn’t think was appropriate for the kids – which is weird since the rating is “G.”  And I won’t even get into the Princess and her clothing, or lack thereof…let’s just say there was way too much animated skin on the screen…The boys didn’t even want to watch more than the first 15 minutes or so…and Brad was pretty much disgusted. 

I will say that the animation and artistry is interesting.  It is different than anything I’ve seen in an animated film.  The backgrounds and scenery are detailed and fun to look at – but that’s probably the best thing about the movie.

Obviously, this is only my opinion and our experience.  If you’d like to check it out for yourself, a DVD/Blu Ray combo pack is available for purchase from Amazon for $22.49 or just the DVD version is available for $16.49.  For more information visit The True Story of Puss’n Boots online or on Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the parental viewpoint. It sounds like something my boys wouldn't like either. I'm always sad when things are marketed to children that aren't children appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teenage DD and I talk about this all the time. I don't understand why 'kid' movies have to have that adult 'undertone' all the time. I thought Shrek at times had those undertones too. Even though most went over DD head at the time, it still is bothersome. I appreciate the fact that someone else sees this trend and doesn't like it either. Why can't children's movie just simply be a childrens movie.

    ReplyDelete